2010年8月15日星期日

ES2007S--I want to build my communication skills

I just began my first lecture on professional communication skills building this morning. I am in group 2, and I seems to be the oldest one realize my insufficient in communication skills. This morning we started with a small questionnaire on our previous experiences, for example, whether you have been to North America or Europe. This is a good way for ice-breaking, languages courses shall create as many chances as possible for students to talk to communicate, especially for ES2007S.

I have only remembered two names, Syvester Lee and Thanasak, as they are my group mates and later the blogger group members. Although this course has no final exam, yet the workload is rather heavy than normal language courses. We are to be evaluated on seven parts, and the coming project for our group is the peer teaching on the subject of "wiki NUS", and of course the whole semester we are to blog and comment a lot on peers' writings.

Besides those introduction and ice-break activities, we only discussed a few problems on communications, like the problematic on the telegraph model of communication. A good reading on that topic is written on http://www.work911.com/communication/false.htm and there are a lot FAQ explained, which may be useful for enquirers. We also discussed on the non-verbal communications and the affecting elements for successful communication.

Every tutorial is a small project and we have to read a lot before classes. I have not finished all those list readings for today's tutorial yet. But reading those materials are fun and beneficial. I shall say I like this course and I will try to get the most of this course.

Those are all I want to say for today. I am not sure whether it is considered as proper blog languages, anyway, I would like and ready to receive comments on how to improve my blog writing .

4 条评论:

Sylvester Lee 说...

Hi Wenlue,

Firstly, I would like say that I am fortunate to be one of team mates for the coming peer teaching session. Your presence as a senior does inspires me a lot to work hard to pursue my Honours in NUS.

However, I feel that you have not answered the question of "What are effective communication skills important to you?" I think you have to mention the point of it being important to you in various aspects like employment and others. I would say that you deviated from the topic :/ Please pardon me for my honest opinion.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing you in the next lesson and working on our peer teaching assignment.. :D

Billto 说...

Hi Wen Lue,

(I don't know where to comment, It's all in Chinese. Haha.)

Firstly, I thank you for remembering my name. Very few people have actually remember my real name. I am glad to be in your group too. It was a good conversation over lunch on Monday.

However, I have to comment frankly on your essay. Your blog have not quite answer the question "Why effective communication is important to you?" It's more on the experience in class. I think I heard you mention that you did not know what to write. Why don't you read Yan Ling's blog? It would help you a lot.

Also, there are a few language problems.
"I just began my first lecture on professional" should be "I have just begun". I understand your difficulty in English writing. Before you post a blog, I could help you to comment first. Although my English is far from perfect, I could help a little bit.

Nonetheless, it was a good effort. Looking forward to see you in class.

Cheers,
Thanasak

Brad Blackstone 说...

Thank you, Wenlue, for your enthusiastic embracing of the course, its components and the goals we have set. Certainly your summarizing the lessons as you have done in this post will help you develop your English skills. You might need to revisit the topic though to see that you have not exactly answered the question. (Billet mentions this in his comment as well. He also generously volunteers to help you edit your work before you post it.)

I can see, of course, that you have a clear need for this course: to help you improve your language skills. Let's consider that paramount.

yanling 说...

Hello WenLue,

I'm quite late in commenting on your post. But I definitely agree with you about how this course is fun and very interactive. It is also great that you are open to improvements. I believe in all cases, a good attitude towards learning is half the battle won! :) Well, taking action towards improvement will win the other half.

I was very honoured that Billet actually used my post as an example, but then again, I still have so much to improve on. We are on this learning journey together!

Anyway, I was pretty stuck when I was writing my blog post too. Like you, I knew I wanted to improve my communications skills too. But to better answer the question, you can think about what made you think that way? Any incident, or you feel that there are still people who do not understand what you are trying to encode? :)

Oh, and you can remember me! I'm from your group project and we'll all put in our best for this communication module ok?